Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's Fall, It's Pomegranate Season!

Rose from my garden

Back in Wisconsin, I dreaded fall, because while fall is absolutely stunning with its oranges, reds, golds and browns dressing the trees and then raining from the sky, once the leaves come down, cold descends like a blanket for the next 6 months. Cold stifles breath, thought, movement. The cold was so overwhelming and long-lasting that it was hard to enjoy fall's finery for the depression brought on by the shorter, colder days. 

Lunch-time pomegranate
Here, there are flowers, fruit and fall color. The temperatures won't go below 28 and that, to me, is amazing.  In January, that's bikini weather in  Wisconsin.  My sister surprised me with the season's first pomegranates last Saturday at the Davis Farmer's Market.  Aside from the citrus family, which one can pluck from trees here, pomegranates have to rank as the fruits of the Gods.  I made quick work of one pomegranate for lunch.

Fall brings with it lots of yard work, and until I moved up to Davis from Fairfield a month ago, I had been able to avoid all forms of manual outdoor work since moving out here in February.  Not so now. On Wednesday--the first day of the blog class, it was slated to rain in the afternoon, so I had to rush and get the 6 bags of soil amenders on top of the hard-pack in my 2 raised beds.

In theory it was soil. According to my new landlords (more on them later--they're amazing), it was clay.  I did manage to load the bags from my truck (the aloha-mobile) on to the beds and then turn over the beds thanks to the rain holding off.  In fact, the rains held off long enough for the San Francisco Giants to win the first game of the World Series. Imagine that.

So today is the last day of my vacation, which I have spent putzing around the hale (Hawaiian for "home"); I work over the Halloween weekend and that should prove interesting and quite busy, for while the young'uns are out trick or treating, the old 'uns are out trick and mayheming and making our lives interesting.  Have a Happy Halloween.  Here is my cat Gizmo, here to say that not all black cats are scary.


Have a Purrrrfect Halloween

3 comments:

  1. Greetings Gizmo and Amelia,

    It is so very nice to meet you Gizmo. I see you have a nice necklace and maybe a heart tag hanging from it? From the looks of your beautiful fur, mum must be brushing it often.

    Dad just came in from the garden having pruned back two trees and cleaning up a little around the yard before tomorrows rain. The joys of having ones own garden.

    Wishing you a joyful weekend,
    Miss Kitty and Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Kitty and Egmont,
    Thank you for noticing my new bling! Amelia bought that for me when our address changed, it even has swarovsky crystals around the edges because I can be trusted to leave my collar on. Faith, on the other hand, tends to slip her collar off, so only gets a plain pink heart. Mom will be working her 12-hour shifts for the next 3 days so we'll have to be extra nice to her. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Amelia,

    Nanci from your blogging triage class- loved your lunch time pomegranate photo- learned to love them this year, and very recently covered with dark chocolate!

    You used the word hale, have you ever lived in Hawaii? I was there '84-'95
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete