Sunday, November 7, 2010

Got Color?

Bees on neigbor's rose

When I said I was going to move to California, everyone said I would miss the fall colors (yeah, but I sure wouldn't miss the fall cold!).  Yes, I would miss the fall colors.

One of the hospital registration clerks where I worked in Wisconsin had taken a stunning photographic montage of trees in full fall color.  When I think of Midwest fall color, that montage comes to mind.

Japanese Elm in the morning light
Imagine, then, my surprise when a week ago I started noticing FALL COLOR all along I-80 of all places. I also learned that not only are there Pistachio trees but Pistache trees. Pistache trees turn a bright pink or flaming red in the fall. To say nothing of the Japanese Elms, Aspens, Ginkgos, Tulip Trees, Maples and Birches.  Roses, yes roses, are still blooming hell bent for leather. Cyclamen are popping up all over the place--I've just plopped a bunch in the ground myself today. And Primrose season is upon us.

The difficulty of my job is that I work 12 hour shifts-3 days on, 2 days off. This work cycle repeats itself ad infinitum. So what with moving again, and getting ready for my Mom to move in, I haven't had much time to enjoy the autumn colors. With this in mind, I decided on my day off this week to capture the color for myself and you, my bloggites. Heading down I-80, I pulled over and snapped some photos of fall color to show you the beauty of our California autumn.

Fall is the season in which I begin to struggle to maintain an even keel--a long-day person heading toward the short days of winter--a season that's dark, damp and cold. Despite its beauty, I've always seen fall as the "gateway drug" to winter which, in the Midwest, is unreasonably long.  As someone addicted to light, I'm already looking for Christmas lights to string up around the windows for winter spark.  Thanks to my dear friend Kari, I have a Happy Light that I use to brighten up the morning. And, more for the light than the season, I'm just about to put up the Christmas Tree--one that's prestrung with all sorts of multi-colored lights.  As I write this, the first tones of Silent night are filtering through the stereo thanks to my niece, Lizzie.

But enough about the future! For now, I'm going out to enjoy all the fall color!

I-80 Fall Finery

2 comments:

  1. What a surprise to see such dazzling color in a California fall. And to read about it in such vivid detail. I had no idea that your newly adopted state could compete so well with our midwestern fall, which is now in a fade-out, alas. Thanks for the eye-opener. I look forward to more such surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,

    With the strange weather we have been having all year there has been only little autumn colour. Once the weather decides to be a little more normal, watch out, there will be fall colours everywhere.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Warmest regards this holiday season,
    Miss Kitty and Egmont

    ReplyDelete